Dentures provide an excellent way to restore your smile if you've lost all or most of your teeth. Choosing the best dentures for your needs can be overwhelming if you're not familiar with the various types available. Dentist Dr. David Gordon of Gordon Family Dental offers several types of dentures in his Lehi, UT, office.
Your dentist will discuss denture options during your visit to his Lehi office and recommend types that will work for your situation. Denture choices include:
- Full Dentures: Most people picture full dentures when they think about dentures. The removable restorations consist of a row of artificial teeth attached to a pink base that resembles gum tissue. Full dentures are worn after your mouth has healed completely from a tooth extraction. They may need to be rebased or relined occasionally, due to natural changes that occur in your mouth after tooth loss.
- Immediate Dentures: There's no waiting period involved with immediate dentures. They're placed in your mouth immediately after your teeth are extracted. If you choose immediate dentures, you'll never need to go through a toothless period while your mouth heals. Immediate dentures also reduce bleeding after extractions and make speaking easier. Your immediate dentures will need to be relined after your mouth heals completely or replaced with full dentures.
- Partial Dentures: If you still have some remaining teeth, your dentist may recommend partial dentures. The removable dentures are held in place by small connectors that clasp over teeth on either end of the gap in your mouth.
- Overdentures: Do you have a few tooth remnants in your mouth? If the roots of these teeth are strong and healthy, your dentist may recommend overdentures, a restoration designed to fit over broken teeth. Keeping your roots intact will help you avoid bone loss in your jaw, a common problem after you lose your teeth.
- Implant-Supported Dentures: Implant-supported dentures offer improved comfort and better biting power than other types of dentures. They're supported by dental implants, titanium posts that bond to your jawbone and act as artificial tooth roots. Implant-supported dentures may be connected directly to implants or attached to a metal framework connected to the implants.
Restore your smile with dentures. Call Lehi, UT, dentist Dr. David Gordon of Gordon Family Dental at (801) 766-6344 to schedule your appointment.