Remember the days when you didn't think about your appearance before you smiled? If you're like many people who have lost a tooth, you may be a little dismayed by the change in your smile. Luckily, dental implants can close the gap in your teeth and restore your smile. Your Lehi, UT, dentist, Dr. David Gordon of Gordon Family Dental, discusses the dental implant process.
Putting down roots
Your new dental implant replaces your tooth roots. Implants are constructed with titanium, a lightweight metal often used in airplanes and architecture. Years ago, researchers discovered that the metal also bonds to bone. That capability makes it the ideal material for dental implants. Once you undergo the minor surgical procedure to place the implant in your jawbone, bonding begins.
Patience is indeed a virtue - especially when it comes to dental implants
Bonding, the most important step in the whole process, takes about three to six months. After the implant fuses to your jawbone completely, an extension post will be attached to it.
Capping it off
Two or three weeks after you receive the extension post, you'll visit Dr. Gordon's Lehi office to begin the process to receive a crown, or cap, as it's commonly called. Crowns are made in a dental laboratory and custom-made to fit your mouth. Your new crown will fill the gap in your smile and make chewing and biting much easier.
Why should I consider a dental implant?
Dental implants offer several important benefits, including:
- Longevity: With proper care, your new implant will last your entire life.
- Comfort: Dental implants are the most comfortable tooth replacement option available.
- Cost Effectiveness: When you compare the long-term costs of implants, bridges and dentures, you'll probably find that dental implants are the best choice.
- Versatility: Do you need to replace several teeth or all of your teeth? Dental implants are just as valuable for replacing multiple teeth as they are for replacing a single tooth.
- Easy Care: If you can brush and floss, you can take care of dental implants. Good oral hygiene will help you avoid an infection that can loosen your implant.
Close the gap in your smile with dental implants! Call Dr. Gordon, your Lehi, UT, dentist at Gordon Family Dental, at (801) 766-6344 to schedule your appointment.