How your Lehi dentist can help you in a dental emergency
Chances are you or someone you love will have a dental emergency at some point in your life. You should be able to recognize when you are having a dental emergency and know what to do when you are faced with a dental crisis. You can suffer a dental emergency related to an accident, untreated dental issues or a sports-related injury. You will typically feel pain, experience swelling and you may have difficulty opening and closing your mouth. Whatever the cause or the symptoms of your dental emergency, Dr. David Gordon of Gordon Family Dental in Lehi, UT wants to help you in your hour of need.
It’s important to keep a few things handy, because you might not be thinking clearly when you need help. Dr. Gordon suggests you keep a kit containing some necessary items, including:
- Dr. Gordon’s phone number
- Gauze or tissue
- Tylenol or other pain medication
- Saline solution for rinsing
- A small container with a lid
During a dental emergency, you can have injuries to your lips, cheeks, gums or face and can have damage to both the soft and hard tissues inside your mouth. Typical dental emergencies involve broken teeth or knocking a tooth out. There are some hands-on treatments you can provide immediately which may help:
- Gently clean the injured area and press it with gauze to stop the bleeding
- For tooth chips or fractures, rinse your mouth out and put ice on the area to reduce swelling
- For a loose tooth, try to adjust the tooth back into position gently, with very slight movements
- For a tooth that has been knocked out, rinse the tooth and place it between your cheek and gum to keep it moist. You can also place it in a small container of saline solution.
You should get in to see Dr. Gordon as soon as you can, so be sure and place his contact and after-hours information in a handy, visible location. You don’t need to suffer from a dental emergency when you know what to do. Take action and get some help by calling Dr. Gordon of Gordon Family Dental in Lehi, UT. Call (801) 766-6344 today!